Friday, January 04, 2008

Stroke of luck

Around 2 years ago I decided to research my family tree. I registered with Genes Reunited and had some early sucess - mainly with Nan S family. At the same time I tries to register for free trial with Ancestry.co.uk but they wanted card details so decided not to go for it. Over the next 18 months or so I would nip in and out of Genes with not much luck.

Then late November 2007 I got message from GR - from a Karen - wanting details on the Devereux connection. Well, went to read message but could not access her tree of allow her to view unless I resubed....so with it being under £10 I went for it. I am so glad I did. She is the daughter of Nats sister (my step nan - who died in 2003) and we had a direct connection!!!

Well of course this fired me up again and I added details from her tree and she did likewise. But as ever it made more questions than it answered!! So off to Census records I went - but got frustrated as to be able to view them proper you had to sub to a site. So I opted for a monthly one on Ancestry. For the next 3 weeks I barely slept - so many leads and so many questions.....it was fab!!!

So what have I found out?

Well following a conversation with my dad over contacting Karen;

That Nana D's dad died in WW1 and that he was in the Gordon Highlanders. Which opened up the possibility of a Scottish connection.
Thats Nana D's mother was possibly Welsh - well suspected that anyway as she was scattered in Llandudno.
Dad also mentioned that there might be some papers in the hosue somewhere and that he would look.

2 weeks passed and nothing from Dad - but did manage to pinpoint Nanas mum (Elizabeth Ellen Owen ) to one district in Anglesey and a possible match for her Dad.

During the Christmas break I rang him again, with details I had found out - that I had found the grave and war memorial if John Campbell (Nana D father). He himself was fired up with the news and promised that he would do his best to get into the cupboard that was in the front room - made arrangements to go down on the saturday.

Cont.......

No comments: