Sunday, December 31, 2006

Last blog prompt for 2006

What has made 2006 for you!??! What has made you smile, cry, laugh, reflect and what have you learned?

Well 2006 has not been a bad year all in all. Been a few financial hiccups along the way, but we have weathered the storms - I hope.
So what made this year?

Me?
Well I am settling into my job working with the family - making a change having a young baby to look after. Going to Bonanza - had a whale of a time, it was fabby, met so many people and bagged lots of bargains in room 37 (or whatever it was!!) With hindsight, I think I would have should have thought more carefully about my classes, every class I took was a mini-book of some sort (mind you I only took 3).
June and I got spoiled for my Birthday - Michael bought me a Tom Tom sat nav system for the car - whoo hoo!! Also got an AMM tote in green for our Anniversary.
We went camping in July to Scotland, the weather could have been better, but still had a good time. Took some good photos and look forward to being able to do them justice. August saw me in hospital for a minor gynae op.....hoping that this gives me some respite from the dreaded monthly curse...which have been getting worse and more painful (fingers crossed)
So that's things that made me smile.
Sadness - well an event that started off with promise; Michael took a decision to change jobs. He started off working for a national petrol station chain, it went well for the first few days of training and he was enjoying it. But then it turned sour - he was having difficulty adjusting to a total change in career, he was not fully supported by his line manager - instead of encouraging him, she found every chance to be-little him and put him down. I saw a proud man looking forward to a change, sink before my very eyes, he lost a stone in weight in just over 3 weeks. I was very worried that he would become ill again. Sorry to say that I lost my temper with him a fair few times, trying to get him to snap out of it, hoping that something would click as regards working with computers and that he would start to enjoy the job. Sadly it didn't and she gave him notice - much to my initial dismay he returned to his old job at the factory. I am a firm believer in not returning to old ground - as he would not have left in the first place if all was well, and that they would take him for granted again. Well - 3 months on, he is happy again, regained his vava voom (nudge nudge!! :) ) and he is re-training in different departments at the factory.
Ocotober saw us being brave and book a 'naughty' night away, felt a bit strange, driving up to the motel. When we got there we checked in and I used my CC, the receptionist asked me the registration of the car.....I did not know it and had to ask hubby!! Very Mrs Smith....wonder what the receptionist thought? Hmmmmmm...
Anyway, had a great time, re-visited my first house that I lived in, had a great time in Skipton town, touring the market and spending money we did not really have. Found a smashing chippy, got attacked by the swans on the River (for my chips!) and then got talking to a chap in the off-licence about family heritage. Strange!!

Laura passing her A levels with flying colours - but sad that she did not get into Medical school, ah well their loss not hers. She decided to apply for 2007 at Liverpool on a Pharmacy degree. At the interview they asked if she wanted to go for this year instead - which she did. She is loving it!!
Late October saw a blip in our mother/daughter relationship - things where in danger of becoming very sour, which I did not want, having been through hat with my own mother. My problem was that I (dad and I) thought that she was not pulling her weight around the house, taking us for granted. Being short tempered when asked to do chores around the house, treating us like skivvies really. Was a tricky few weeks - but gradually, slowly, things have returned to more normality. I made a list of the things that she gets for free - and whilst I did not show it to her, it was in my room and I suspect that she did actually read it.
I am so happy that she has embraced her faith, bit sad that its not the Church that she was brought up in, but you cant have it all. Very pleased that her relationship with BF is going well - but puzzled as to where she got her high morals from - not that I was a loose woman in my youth - but she has signed up to the 'Not me. not now' doctrine - whereby she and BF are sworn to remain celibate till wed. Have spoken to her about it, re-assured her that if she changes her mind that we will not look down on her, but give her the appropriate advice.
But this week saw me having to talk to her sternly about the effects of the sub-conscious signals that she was sending out to her poor BF. Poor things - he must have nerves of steel to be able to avoid giving in to temptation. Un-wittingly she is sitting on his knee and wearing very low tops - which make the poor fellas blood pressure rise!! She had no ideas - poor lass!!

Ryan - well, his room is still a flaming mess. Seems like every other month we are threatening to ground him over it. He started his options year at school - and strangely decided to study cookery. Not got a problem with that, but in his entire 3 years of being at High school he has only had 3 practical lessons - due to teacher shortages. So now finds himself on severe catch up and concerns on his report. Also his handwriting is still bad, its like an 8 year olds!
But he has also started at College on an AVQ course (not quite an NVQ) on car maintainance and is showing an aptitude in it.
He is a menace at times - but sure is a lot better than some 15 year olds that I know. He can moan and groan bout mucking in - but at least he does do it. Hoping that he starts to take stock of his school stuff and knuckles down to it.
I am not trying to compare him to his sister - he is different in every way, an individual. But its going to be hard to not comapre him and hope that he gets high marks with his exams. Fingers crossed.

So what have I learned?

To swear less, take a breath and walk away if necessary.
To eat less.

Hopes for next year?

That my relationship with my own mother can improve - well I can hope!
To get the courage to 'go away' again with hubby ......it was fabby! ( wink!)

Right thats about it I think....hope I did not bore you too much. Now bring on the wine - I fancy a drink!

1 comment:

Sally said...

Enjoyed your blog! Happy New year!