Has been and gone. How quick was that? All the lead up and the panic over what to buy for whom, and was it worth it? Still not sure.
Christmas Day - lay in bed waiting for the giggles from the kids or the rustling of paper at the very least....first we heard was a
"Humph!! Very funny - not - I hate sprouts" followed by a thump as they went flying across the room. This was Laura's idea of a joke to her brother.
Went downstairs at 9am - very closely followed by our dog - Fred - who was just as eager as us to open his present - honestly he opens his own presents, you have to see him to believe it!! Will have to figure out how to insert a video of it for you.
Laura chose to open only a couple before we went to Church - I think she opened the ones from my Mum (a travel clock and some money). Ryan got similar, Michael got choccy biscuits and I got?? Well the picture is here.....
- well what a contrast in presents and events this year.

Whats that all about then? Have you honestly seen me put pom poms or lolly sticks on one of my pages Mum? Thought not, I'm a scrapbooker not a child!! Sigh!! Will she 'ever' get me a present I like? This has got to be just as good as the time she got me a white skirt and top in tee-shirt material.......I had a 6 month old baby at the time, and well - it was white for a start and tee shirt material? Showed off every lump and bump of my pregnancy that I had failed to shift....it went to the charity shop unworn.
Had a laugh when Ryan opened one of his though - it was a DVD of the love story of Queen Victoria - oops! Wrong tag on there then!!
Church was a nice service, short and sweet. Not 'my' usual Church - I attend a mainstream C of E, but Laura has been going to this Church for over 9 months and loves it. Its an Evangelical one - which raised a few eyebrows in our family, as there have been some problems in the past with 'alternative' churches - but thats another story. Anyhow, like I said, a friendly congregation - sang some well known Carols and some familiar sounding prayers. Then there was a short sketch read out by various people - a tale of toys in a shop - basically bringing the meaning of Christmas back to what it should be.
After the service we all (including Dave the BF) and had lunch....Ryan eating as fast as he could so that he could open his remaining presents. Hi main present was a bike - I think it was liked - yet to see him ride it yet, he has been super glued to his bed, either sleeping or playing on his game station in his room.
We got Laura her own sat nav so she does not have to borrow mine - also a printer of her own. I 'think' they liked what they got, as we have not had much feedback this year - sigh! I miss them being younger. But do not want them to produce grandchildren for a few years yet.
Me? What did I get? Well, as usual I was spoiled by hubby, some much needed warm jumpers, a shower set, manicure set, perfume (Tweed - it was the first present he bought me over 24 years ago and it still smells nice), a DVD - Nanny McFee (shame, I bought it when it first came out!!), a CD - Tenacious D 'Pick of Destiny' - we saw the movie 4 weeks ago, very funny, but the language atrocious to say the least, cant play that when MIL comes round!! Some knee high boots in brown - nice, but I got fat thighs and cant zip them up - so that 2 things I have to return sadly. His saving grace was the 'very nice' underwear set!! Even daughter approves - says at least its half way decent and not 'tarty'!!
I bought him just the one thing - an 'old fashioned' record player, so that he can play his vinyl records again.....it also has a radio (yeay) and a CD player.
MIL came after lunch - did not stay too long, she had to go home and cook her Dinner.....anyway, gave them their presents; now imagine the scene
Eddie (grandad) - A DVD of Boxing...."oh, nice one, hmm, shall have to go to Davids (his son) to watch it
MIL - A DVD - Mrs Brown - a love story about Queen Victoria - "Oh, we have not got a DVD player, I gave it away - the one I got free from some insurance offer or waht not.
Me - Oh!! Im soooo sorry, I did not realise, er humm, oh....Ryan can you get your Nan her other present please
MIL - not really looking at the box as she opened it.....it was Eddie who realised first.....hah hah we CAN watch them now Margaret....cue the misty eyes from MIL......
But it still leaves the question - how do we set it up? (technophobes!!)
Ryan went down mid-week to do the job, we got phone call last night, she REALLY enjoyed watching the DVD and even SHE can operate it on her own!!
RESULT!!!!
Christmas Dinner
Was going to be a bit quieter this year, due to the fact that Laura is going to BF house. So we had the usual;
Turkey
Sausages in bacon
stuffing
roast potatoes
mash
Pork
Carrots
Broccoli and home made gravy
Turkey was cooked to perfection, the pork was cut too thick by Michael, gravy was fab (as usual) and the dog scrounged (as usual) under the table. Did not eat loads, left the table feeling not too full....could still breath in my trousers....and then the usual groans from Ryan over the washing up!
So that was that really. Did not stuff myself too full of chocolates, ate some pudding and mince pies, but no Christmas cake - saving that for New Years day - when we have 'proper' guests for the first time in errr...how long?? Err the first time ever - cant really call Ally and DH 'proper and posh' guests. We are hosting for Dave and his parents (Lauras BF) Oh crikey - they are a bit posh coming from Cheadle Hulme and all that. Will update with details of how it went.
Wish me luck - I dont want to be over the top, nor do I want to let Laura down, as its possible that these are her future in laws!!


1 comment:
Cheadle Hulme POSH!!! Ha ha they wish!! Lived there til I was 9 then moved to posh Davenport - almost Bramhall you know ;)
MIL and FIL live in Cheadle Hulme and I run the crop there - we ain't posh love!!! LOL
Lovely to hear you had a lovely Christmas. PM me the names of said posh people - see if I know them :)
Post a Comment